Grilled Chicken & Fruit Cobb Salad is the perfect summertime meal! It combine fresh fruit with toasted walnuts, chicken, and sweet poppyseed dressing for a light but satisfying dinner.
Oh, you guys. The end-of-semester insanity has set in. I have like, 3 days and 1 test left until my much awaited week-long break and I can’t wait. Gah! Being in school 8 hours a day and then studying every waking moment will do that to a person. I’ve probably mentioned it before, but I have basically been awaiting said break since the semester started. L O L. Today, I am sharing a little something that tastes delicious while still being totally good for us. This Grilled Chicken & Fruit Cobb Salad is absolutely scrumptious! It’s packed with fresh fruit, walnuts, and some simple grilled chicken for a good-for-you but tasty meal.
I had been meaning to make something along these lines for forever! Fruit in savory salads is totally my favorite. This is actually very reminiscent of a Cobb salad Chick-Fil-A used to have (and may still have)… fruit and grilled chicken on a bed of lettuce, with honey-mustard dressing! I actually went for a sweet poppyseed dressing this time, but recently I’ve been obsessed with honey mustard grilled chicken. So that may make an appearance on the blog sometime soon 🙂
Can I just say that Cobb salads in general are so pretty? There is nothing more aesthetically pleasing than having a plate of neat little colorful rows… that you can EAT. Yesssss. I went a very clear-out-the-fridge route with this version and just added all the fruit I could find in my house. Oranges, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, plus some walnuts for crunch. But don’t feel limited by my version! You can add whatever fruit your heart desires. This Cobb salad is a perfect fresh summertime dinner, but it’s also great as a packed lunch! Just be sure to pack the dressing on the side so you don’t end up with soggy lettuce leaves 😉 Happy cooking!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 peaches, diced
- 2 oranges, sectioned (cut without their white fibers)
- ½ cup walnuts
- 8 cups spring mix salad
- First, toast your walnuts. Spread them in a single layer in a nonstick pan over medium heat, and toast them, moving the pan often to make sure you don't get burnt spots. When the nuts are warmed through and fragrant, they're ready! Set aside.
- Next, cook your chicken. Salt and pepper on both sides. Heat up a large nonstick pot or grill pan with the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- When the oil shimmers, add in your chicken breasts. Cook for about 10 minutes, until they are opaque and the top has started turning white.
- Flip them, and cook them for about 10 more minutes, until cooked through and with no traces of pink. Let it rest for a few minutes before cutting into cubes.
- In a large serving platter, arrange the salad leaves in an even flat layer.
- Arrange the cut fruit, chicken, and toasted walnuts in even rows.
- Top with your favorite dressing (I used poppyseed) and serve immediately!