Looking to add more meatless options to your summer menu? These Herb Tofu Skewers are super simple to make, and are served with a flavor-packed homemade chimichurri sauce.
Hi friends and happy Monday! I am so excited to be sharing this delicious tofu recipe with you guys today. I have been trying to brainstorm as many recipes as I can with fresh herbs and summertime produce in mind, and these Herb Tofu Skewers with Chimichurri are a total slam dunk! Super simple to make, baked until crispy and golden brown, and topped with a fresh and zingy chimichurri sauce. This dish seriously tastes like summer!
What do I need to make these herb tofu skewers?
Thankfully, the ingredient lineup for this recipe is ridiculously simple! All you need for the skewers themselves is a block of extra firm tofu, olive oil, salt, pepper, and Italian herb mix. Easy peasy.
What about for the chimichurri sauce?
This is also super easy to make, and packs a ton of flavor! Chimichurri is basically a South American version of pesto. You need fresh parsley, fresh (or dried) oregano, garlic, olive oil, white wine vinegar, crushed red chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Put everything in a food processor, and blend up until it's saucy!
The chimichurri is delicious on these herb tofu skewers, but also on roasted potatoes, tacos, vegan egg scrambles... it's a fantastic sauce to have in the house to jazz up any of your dishes 🙂
You can serve these herb tofu skewers however you'd like, but for me it just seemed right to build a little Mediterranean style plate with rice, grilled veggies, and naan bread. I actually made some little wraps with the naan bread, tofu, veggies, and chimichurri and it was soooo tasty! I don't own a grill (#apartmentprobs), so I roasted my tofu skewers in the oven on a wire rack and they turned out perfectly. I do worry that they would be a little too fragile for a real grill and fall apart!
To give my tofu skewers more of a gyro/chicken feel, first I pressed the tofu to get rid of any excess liquid. I sliced my block of tofu in half lengthwise, and then cut each piece diagonally to create triangles! Then I just sliced them to create small pieces. Don't cut them too thin, or they will fall apart when you thread them on the skewers.
I hope you guys will give these herb tofu skewers with chimichurri a try! They are so delicious and easy to make. And you could easily change it up and use different spices or a different sauce on top for a totally new meal! Let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. Happy cooking!
Here are more of my favorite tofu recipes!
- Vegan Chickpea Curry with Tofu and Spinach
- Vegan Pineapple Tofu Fried Rice
- Honey Mustard Tofu Sheetpan Meal
- Teriyaki Tofu Quinoa Bowls
- Vegan Pesto Tofu Buddha Bowls
- *for the tofu skewers*
- 1 14oz package extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoon Italian Herb mix
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- *for the chimichurri sauce*
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves (can substitute with 1 tablespoon dry oregano)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- First, prepare the tofu by pressing it. This will get rid of any excess liquid. Wrap your block of tofu in a few layers of paper towels or a tea towel, and place on a plate. Top with a second plate or cutting board, and place 1-2 cookbooks on top to apply pressure. Allow tofu to press for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chimichurri. Combine all chimichurri ingredients in a food processor, and pulse until everything is finely chopped and combined. Add more olive oil if it is too thick. Taste and add more spices as desired. Set aside for now.
- When ready to cook the tofu, preheat oven to 425F. Set a wire cooling rack over a baking sheet, and spray or brush with olive oil.
- Unwrap your tofu, and cut your block in half lengthwise to create two long rectangles. Cut each of these in half diagonally to create 4 long triangle-shaped pieces. Slice into roughly ⅛" pieces - don't make them too thin or they will break apart when you thread them on your skewers! Repeat with all.
- Carefully thread the tofu triangles on your skewers. I was able to make 7 short skewers.
- Place your tofu skewers on your prepared wire rack. Drizzle them all with the olive oil, and sprinkle with the dried Italian herbs, salt, and pepper. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, flipping halfway through, until skewers are golden brown and fragrant.
- Serve tofu skewers with the chimichurri sauce, and enjoy!