These Vegan Homemade Cosmic Brownies are reminiscent of your childhood lunchbox favorites, but plant-based and made from scratch! Don’t worry, they still have the thick frosting on top and signature rainbow sprinkles!
Happy Friday, friends! I am soooo excited about the recipe I’m sharing today. If you follow me on Instagram, you already knew this was coming 😉 But if you’re a child of the 90’s, you should have no problem recognizing these. Say hello to my Vegan Homemade Cosmic Brownies! Rich and fudgy, with a layer of thick ganache on top and those irresistible rainbow chocolate chip sprinkles on top. UGH. These seriously made all my vegan dreams come true!
I have had cosmic brownies on my to-bake list FOREVER, and once I got my hands on those signature sprinkles a few months ago, I knew it was just a matter of time! I purchased THESE from Wilton (I found them at Target) and thought they were vegan, but after I shared them on my IG stories, a reader told me that confectioner’s glaze isn’t actually vegan. So that is annoying! Someone told me to look into Sweetapolita sprinkles, and she DOES have these Rainbow Chocolate Ball sprinkles which are vegetarian (but not vegan). Another option is these Sweets & Treats Sprinkle Crispies (which I used for these pop tarts) – they’re not chocolate, but they are vegan friendly and still give you that bright multicolored effect!
I am obsessed with how delicious these cosmic brownies came out! The good news? They’re super easy to make, too! The brownies are all made in one bowl and just need a whisk and a spatula, so you have minimal dirty dishes. Then you just melt down some vegan chocolate and nondairy milk for the ganache on top, and sprinkle on your rainbow chips. I find that the texture is best if they’re in the fridge, for that really thick & fudgy feel! Oh but wait… I have even more good news. I’m turning this into a Throwback Treats mini-series! I already have some other desserts in the pipeline and I am SO EXCITED. If you have treats you’d like to see made at home & veganized, let me know!
I hope you guys love these vegan homemade cosmic brownies as much as I do! They’re rich, chocolatey, and tastes just as good (actually, better) than the brownies from your childhood. Enjoy with a big glass of milk… or pack one in your lunchbox next to a PB&J sandwich for maximum authenticity 🙂
- *for the brownies*
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp warm water
- 1 cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup melted vegan butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- *for the glaze*
- ¼ cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp nondairy milk (more or less as needed)
- rainbow chip sprinkles, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flaxseed and water and mix to combine. Set aside to thicken.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add in the melted butter, vanilla, and thickened flaxseed mixture. Mix until brownie batter comes together - it will be thick!
- Line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment (VERY important, as these brownies like to stick!), and pour in the prepared brownie mix.
- Smooth out with a spatula, and bake for 35 minutes, until brownie appears dry on top, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs.
- Let brownie cool to room temperature, then make the glaze. Combine the vegan chocolate chips and milk in a microwave safe bowl, and heat in 15 second increments until smooth and creamy. You may have to add a little more milk if it's too thick. It should be easy to pour!
- Pour chocolate glaze all over the brownie, and sprinkle the rainbow chip sprinkles on top.
- Place cosmic brownies in the fridge to help the glaze set. After it has solidified, you can store brownies at room temperature or in the fridge for a fudgier texture (my fav!).