Yes, you can have bacon as a vegan - TEMPEH bacon, that is! These Vegan BLT's with Tempeh Bacon are savory, satisfying, and just as delicious as the originals. Serve with some pickles and potato chips for a classic comforting meal.
Hello friends, and happy Monday! I have such a fun surprise for you today. As I mentioned in my last post, #Veganuary is a very popular New Year's resolution (and if it brought you here to my site... welcome!!!). I have loads of vegan recipes on the blog, but I thought it would be fun to enlist the help of some friends for extra meal ideas and inspiration. Today, I am not only sharing these delicious Vegan BLT's with Tempeh Bacon, but I also have a dozen vegan recipes from fellow bloggers for you to check out. Let's get cooking!
When brainstorming what to make for this event, I decided I wanted to make something really simple and not intimidating, but also super tasty. Enter - a sandwich! Of course. There is nothing easier, especially when you're hungry and want something you can prep quickly.
There is just one component that is made from scratch in this BLT sandwich, and that is the tempeh bacon! I promise it is so simple to make, and you can absolutely do it. You just make a quick marinade with some oil, brown sugar, liquid smoke, and garlic salt, and toss in slices of tempeh. Let it hang out for 10-15 minutes, then cook it up in a pan as you would normal bacon. Stack it high on your favorite bread with vegan mayo, lettuce, tomatoes, and (if you want) some smashed avocado. And there you have it. Lunch is served!
What do I need to make vegan tempeh bacon?
- Tempeh - the main ingredient! Tempeh is a protein-packed meat substitute made of fermented soybeans. You can find it at most grocery stores in the vegan/natural foods section, usually by the tofu! It's sold in a rectangular patty, and you just need to cut it into slices for our faux bacon. Super simple. Be sure not to cut it too thin or the slices will fall apart (I learned this one the hard way!).
- Liquid smoke - this is the secret ingredient that makes our tempeh taste like actual bacon! You can buy it at most grocery stores and it's pretty cheap. They have several different varieties - I have the hickory version and I find that it's pretty versatile! In a pinch, you can substitute with smoked paprika for the smoky flavor.
- Oil - I used vegetable oil for the neutral flavor & high smoke point, but you can use whatever you have in the house. This is a must for that slightly greasy, fried flavor and texture.
- Brown sugar - the sweetness of the sugar really takes the faux bacon to the next level! This also helps the tempeh caramelize nicely when you cook it.
- Garlic salt - you could certainly just use garlic powder + salt separately, but I always have garlic salt in the house so that is what I use! The garlic adds a great savory twist.
Check out all the delicious recipes my blogger friends made for the occasion!
Vegan Recipes for #Veganuary!
- Vegan BLT’s with Tempeh Bacon by The Baking Fairy
- 7 Spice Shiitake Mushroom Soup by PlantCrush
- Breakfast Cookies by Cook with 5 Kids
- Cranberry Coffee Cake by This Wife Cooks
- Creamy Vegan Spiced Carrot Soup by Chickpea & Herb
- Easy Vegan Mac & Cheese with Broccoli by Simple And Savory
- Favorite Pumpkin Quinoa Waffles with Pecans by Melissa Traub
- Hara Bara Kebab by FoodTrails25
- Instant Pot Dal Soup by Palatable Pastime
- Raspberry Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal Muffins by Return to the Kitchen
- Roasted Banana Almond Butter Breakfast Cookies by Shockingly Delicious
- Sweet Potato Patties by Flavours Treat
- Tofu Benedict with Hemp Hollandaise by Upbeet Kitchen
- Vegan Chickpea Shawarma in the Air Fryer by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches by My Kitchen Stories
- Vegan Cinnamon Rolls (Tangzhong Method) by The Urben Life
- Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Muffins by Messy Vegan Baker
- White Bean Dip with Homemade Pita Chips by Blogghetti
I wish you guys the best, most successful #Veganuary ever! And even if you're not all-in and you're just trying to incorporate more veggie options, this vegan BLT is a total winner. Simple, savory, satisfying, and delicious. There's no need to miss the bacon when we have so many alternatives 🙂 Let me know if you try it!
Check out my other tasty vegan sandwiches!
- *for the tempeh bacon*
- 1 package of tempeh
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoon garlic salt
- *to serve*
- 4 slices sandwich bread (I like Dave's Killer Bread)
- vegan mayonnaise (I like Hellmann's)
- sliced tomatoes
- ripe avocado slices (optional)
- First, prepare the tempeh bacon. Slice the tempeh in thin slices. In a shallow bowl, combine the vegetable oil, brown sugar, liquid smoke, and garlic salt.
- Toss in the tempeh pieces, and mix to combine. Set aside to marinade for 10-15 min.
- When ready to cook, heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat, and add in the tempeh pieces (be sure to leave the marinade behind in the bowl so it doesn’t burn).
- Cook until crispy and caramelized on both sides. Add the reserved marinade and cook for 1 more minute so it thickens. Remove from pan.
- To build your BLT's, toast the bread if desired. Spread vegan mayo on one slice, then stack on the lettuce, tomato, and tempeh bacon. Top with avocado slices if desired. Enjoy immediately!
*Disclosure: I am part of the Amazon Associates Program, and there may be affiliate links on this page. If you buy anything through my website, I will receive a small percentage of the profit at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting my blog!*
SO genius to use tempeh bacon!! Can't wait to try this. Would be perfect with aquafaba mayo 🙂 I haven't tried Hellmann's yet
What an easy and delicious sandwich! I love tempeh bacon! 🙂
I need to get some liquid smoke ASAP! Where do you buy yours?
I just find mine at Kroger, but I believe most grocery stores sell it! I find it where the hot sauce and worcestershire sauce are, usually. I've been working out of the same bottle for years cause you need so little and it lasts forever!
Sue Lau says
Looks yummy! I love sandwiches so this would be perfect for me.
Messy Vegan Baker | Christina says
I'm So Excited to try this! It sounds delicious!
Dorothy Reinhold says
I have had my eye on tempeh bacon at my store. This gives me the perfect reason to grab some!
I'm looking forward to trying this Valentina. I haven't made tempeh bacon yet!
Tempeh is one such ingredient I've always wanted to try. This recipe sounds perfect and I'm sure my sandwich-loving family would like this too.
Okay now...so not a vegan BUT I want to make this sandwich. BLTs are my favorite type of sandwich. Adding tempeh to my grocery list for our next sandwich night.
I picked up some tempeh yesterday, I am going to make this over the weekend! I wonder if I will be able to trick my family into thinking its real?
Ann Mai | plantcrush.co says
GIRL. I had vegan BLT's this week and they were good but ummm, yours sound even better! I MUST MAKE AND REPORT BACK. Love you!!
Such and easy peasy sandwich recipe. perfect for breakfast or light lunch. I still have to try tempeh .. and where will I get liquid smoke.. and exactly what we use it for?.