Messaging below is intended for ages 21+ and is intended to be enjoyed responsibly, in moderation. This collaboration has been compensated by Empress 1908 Gin. All opinions are mine alone. #EmpressGin
This Purple Basil Gin Fizz is as pretty as it is delicious! Refreshing lemon, purple basil syrup, and floral gin come together for this light and sophisticated cocktail.
Happy Monday, my loves! I am so incredibly excited to be sharing a brand new recipe today, in partnership with Empress 1908 Gin! This beautiful gin is made with butterfly pea blossom, which gives it the gorgeous indigo color... and it also means that it changes color to a bright fuchsia when mixed with something acidic. This is basically cocktail alchemy! To show off the magical colors, I have created this Purple Basil Gin Fizz, made with purple basil simple syrup, lemon juice, lemon sparkling water, and Empress 1908 gin for a layered, colorful cocktail. It might sound simple, but it's delicious and just so.dang.pretty!
Seriously I just can't get over the beautiful colors. Any cocktail you make with Empress 1908 gin is bound to impress! In addition to the show-stopping hue, the gin is delicious and a great addition to your bar cart. It's made with a blend of botanicals including black tea, juniper, grapefruit, coriander, cinnamon, rose petals, and ginger. I have to admit I was not familiar with gin cocktails before this collaboration, but I am looking forward to creating more delicious drinks. This purple basil gin fizz is a twist on the classic, and the purple basil infusion adds a floral note and an extra layer of flavor.
How do I make a purple basil gin fizz?
- First, you must make the purple basil simple syrup! Thankfully, it is super easy and requires just three ingredients - purple basil leaves, sugar, and water.
- In a small pot, combine equal parts of sugar and water, and heat over medium until the sugar dissolves. Toss in your basil leaves, and remove from heat. You don't want to boil the mixture for too long or you'll start to make caramel! 😉 Allow the mixture to cool, then strain and that's it - you're ready to use it!
- To make your cocktail, combine ½ oz of your basil syrup with 1 oz of fresh lemon juice. Mix to combine, then pour into a cup with some ice. Add in 4 oz of lemon sparkling water, and top with 2 oz of the Empress 1908 gin. Garnish with some purple basil flowers if desired, then just stir and sip!
I hope you guys will give this purple basil gin fizz a try! It is simple, delicious, and so refreshing - perfect for these hot late summer evenings. Of course, you can make this with any gin, but I definitely recommend using Empress 1908 Gin for that show-stopping special touch! You can check out their website for more fun recipes using their gin. Happy drinking, and please enjoy responsibly!
- *to make the purple basil syrup*
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup fresh purple basil leaves
- *for 1 cocktail*
- ½ oz purple basil syrup
- 1 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 oz lemon sparkling water
- 2 oz Empress 1908 Gin
- basil leaves & flowers, for garnish
- First, make the purple basil syrup. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water, and heat over medium until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Add in the purple basil leaves, and remove pan from heat. Allow mixture to cool, then remove basil leaves and pour into a glass jar to store.
- To make a cocktail, prepare a glass with some crushed ice. Mix together the basil syrup and lemon juice, and pour into cup. Top with the sparkling water, and finish with the Empress 1908 Gin on top. Garnish with basil leaves and flowers, if desired, and serve immediately.