This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to help in the creation of the #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
Have you ever tried the old-fashioned Turtle candies? This Vegan Turtle Layer Cake uses the classic combination of chocolate, caramel, and pecans in one decadent stacked dessert.
Hello friends and happy Monday! I am so excited to share that today is the beginning of #SpringSweetsWeek! All week long, I (along with some of my blogger friends) will be sharing delicious dessert recipes all week long to inspire you. You may remember I participated last year, and I couldn’t wait to get back to it and create more special treats. The first creation I have for you guys is this Vegan Turtle Layer Cake, made with Millican Pecans! Chocolate-pecan cake layers are sandwiched with vanilla bean buttercream, homemade caramel, and more pecans. The whole thing is then topped with a decadent caramel drip and chocolate chips. The combination is seriously heavenly!
First things first, I would like to give a big thank you to Heather from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks for organizing #SpringSweetsWeek 2020! What better way to celebrate the warmer weather and flowers blooming than with food and a fun giveaway? Our #SpringSweetsWeek sponsors are helping us give away some great prizes. Thank you so much to Dixie Crystals, Millican Pecan, Door County Coffee, Anolon, Deiss Cookware, Adams Extract, and Fresh April Sprinkles for your generosity. We have an incredible giveaway below and would love if you would take a moment to read about it and the prizes you can win!
So you may be wondering… why the heck is this called a TURTLE layer cake?! Well, “Turtles” are small candies that you can make (or buy) that combine pecans with caramel and chocolate, with the pecans acting as the little legs and the caramel and chocolate being the shell. The combination of chocolate, pecans, and caramel is just classic “turtle” to me! 🙂 I promise no animals were harmed in the making of this cake 😉
As I mentioned, this event is a group effort so be sure to check out everyone’s delicious recipes for today!
Monday #SpringSweetsWeek Recipes
- Auntie Ann’s Italian Cookies by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Blood Orange Madelines by Simply Inspired Meals
- Butter Pecan Macaron by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Butterscotch Pie with Pecan Crust by Art of Natural Living
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake Bars by Cookaholic Wife
- Carrot Cake Pecan Pie by The Spiffy Cookie
- Coconut Pineapple Bread by Family Around the Table
- Coffee Peanut Butter Sweet Rolls by Pastry Chef Online
- Coffee Pudding Cake by That Recipe
- Gluten Free Almond Poppyseed Bread by Frugal & Fit
- Hummingbird Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Glaze by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Lemon and Raspberry Mascarpone Cupcakes by Palatable Pastime
- Lemon Buttercream Cake with Lemon Curd Filling by Jen Around the World
- Lemon Cake Pops by A Savory Feast
- Lemon Jelly Roll by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemonade Crinkles by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Lemony Baked Doughnuts by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Mint Chocolate Quick Bread by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Mocha Mint Mississippi mud brownies- by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Orange Posset by Shockingly Delicious
- Pecan Pie Cheesecake Bars by Sweet Beginnings
- Pink Lemonade Rice Krispie Treats by Blogghetti
- Praline Ice Cream by Fresh April Flours
- Sponge Cake by Books n’ Cooks
- Spring Pastel Watercolor Cake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Vegan Turtle Layer Cake by The Baking Fairy
- White Chocolate Carrot Cake Tea Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
I hope you guys enjoy this decadent Vegan Turtle Layer Cake! The fresh, delicious Millican pecans really make the cake a huge success. Be sure to come back every day this week to see what else I’ve made for you! be sure to scroll past the recipe to see all the giveaway details!
Recipes for #SpringSweetsWeek
- Monday: Vegan Turtle Layer Cake
- Tuesday: Vegan Orange Poppyseed Bundt Cake with Strawberry Icing
- Thursday: Raspberry Almond Cold Brew Latte
- Friday: Vegan Lemon Berry Sweet Rolls
- *for the caramel*
- ¾ cup full fat coconut milk
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt (smoked salt if you have it!)
- *for the cake*
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 cup water
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup Millican pecan pieces
- *for the frosting*
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- 1-2 tbsp of nondairy milk, as needed
- pinch of salt
- *for topping*
- additional Millican pecan halves and pieces
- ¼ cup vegan chocolate chips
- First, start on the caramel. Combine the coconut milk and brown sugar in a small nonstick pot. Heat to medium-low heat and cook, stirring often, until mixture is thick and golden brown. This should take about 15-20 minutes. The caramel will thicken a little more as it cools as well. Sprinkle in the salt to taste.
- Next, make the chocolate cakes. Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray two 6" round cake pans with baking spray, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add in the nondairy milk, water, and oil, and mix vigorously. Add in the vinegar and vanilla, and mix until well combined. Finally, fold in the pecan pieces.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Let cakes cool slightly, then turn onto a wire rack to finish cooling off.
- When the cakes are completely cooled, you can make the frosting. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the shortening, vegan butter, and vanilla extract together until completely smooth and creamy. Add in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until a thick frosting forms. Add in the salt. It is normal to need to add 1-2 tbsp of milk to get the right consistency.
- To assemble the cake, divide the 2 cake layers in half to create 4 thin layers.
- Place one cake piece on your cake stand or platter, and spread some white frosting on top. Pipe a border of frosting all around the edge of the cake. Sprinkle pecan pieces in the middle, and drizzle on some of the prepared caramel. Repeat with the remaining layers.
- Next, cover the cake with a layer of frosting. Cover the cake, being sure to fill in any gaps between the layers. Use a bench scraper to remove any excess. I like the naked look, but you can leave a thicker layer of frosting if you want!
- Next, go around the edge of the frosted cake and make drips with the caramel. Finish by covering the top of the cake with caramel as well.
- To complete the cake, transfer your remaining frosting to a piping bag with a 1M tip, and pipe swirls of frosting around the edge of the cake. Top each swirl with a pecan half. Add the chocolate chips to the center of the cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve!
Check out the amazing prizes you can win in our #SpringSweetsWeek Giveaway!
Prize #1: Millican Pecan is giving one winner a Tower of Treats!
Millican Pecan began when E.E. Risien, founded the West Texas Pecan Nursery in the late 1800’s at the junction of the San Saba and Colorado Rivers. He received much recognition for his experiments that altered the course of the pecan industry and helped to establish San Saba as the “Pecan Capital of the World.” From this location, they developed many great pecan varieties, as well as a prosperous orchard that serves our customers well, even to this day. Today Millican Pecan is being run by the 5th generation, the one that launched the Millican Pecan website in 2002. Visit https://millicanpecan.com/ to learn more about pecans, find delicious recipes, and buy their amazing pecans and pecan products.
Prize #2: Door County Coffee is giving one winner 20 full-pots of coffee and a Door County Coffee mug. Full pots will consist of seasonal flavors, flavored coffee, and non-flavored coffee.
Door County Coffee & Tea Co. was founded in 1993 in Door County, Wisconsin. It is a small, family-owned business, roasting coffee the old-fashioned way – in small batches to exacting specifications. The mission has always been to produce some of the best-tasting and highest quality coffee. They have over 100 types of coffee, all of which are roasted right on site. Visit https://www.doorcountycoffee.com/ to see their selection of coffees and teas as well as to find some fabulous recipes.
Prize #3: Dixie Crystals is giving one winner a set of Nordic Ware Bundt Pans. This set contains one Chiffon Bundt Pan and one Vaulted Cathedral Bundt Pan perfect for decorative baking.
Since 1917, Dixie Crystals® has been the South’s choice for high-quality sugar and sweeteners. Our pure cane sugar products are all natural, non-GMO and provide consistently delicious results. Visit www.dixiecrystals.com for hundreds of recipes, holiday ideas, great ways to get kids baking in the kitchen, and plenty of baking videos.
Prize #4: Anolon is giving one winner an Anolon Advanced 5 piece Bakeware set. This nonstick bakeware set includes two 8 inch round cake pans, one 8 inch square cake pan, a 10 x 15 cookie pan, and a 9.25 x 14 cooling rack! It’s the perfect set for any baker.
Established in 1950’s, Meyer Manufacturing started by making and selling flashlights. In 1971 they started their journey into selling cookware and by 1986 they released the world’s first hard-anodized nonstick cookware that would revolutionize the world of home cooking because the nonstick surface didn’t flake or scratch easily. Today they sell bakeware with nonstick interior and exterior that is made with a special blend of sapphire-reinforced nonstick that is triple coated. Visit https://anolon.com to see their selection of cookware, bakeware, tools, and to get amazing recipes.
Prize #5: Fresh April Sprinkles is giving one winner their choice of three 4 ounce bags of sprinkles! Winner can choose from favorites like the Birthday Party Blend, Cotton Candy Blend, Pink Lemonade Blend, and so many others!
Fresh April Sprinkles was founded in the summer of 2019 by Lynn April who runs the food blog Fresh April Flours. They produce small batch, hand blended sprinkles in a suburb outside of Philadelphia. Our sprinkle blends are carefully crafted with beautiful desserts in mind and can be custom blended just for you! Visit https://freshaprilsprinkles.com to see the collection of sprinkles available or to find recipes from Lynn!
Prize #6: Adams Extract is giving one winner an Adams baking pack with 4-6 items including their amazing 4oz Adams Best® Vanilla Flavor. This prize package is great for anyone who loves to bake!
John A. Adams began making and selling his Green Plant Sarsaparilla extract in 1888 in Battle Creek, Michigan. In 1905, he moved his family to Beeville, Texas. Working with just $6.71 worth of materials on top of an old icebox, John A. Adams created a new formula for vanilla. His wife tested it by whipping up a cake and announced, “John, this is the BEST flavoring I have ever used.” “Well, that’s old man Adams BEST,” he responded. The name stuck, and Adams Best was born! Today, Adams manufactures and markets under several Adams Brand banners, including Adams Best®, Adams Extract®, Adams® Seasoning & Spice, and many more. To learn more about Adams Extract, to shop their products, or to find delicious recipes visit https://www.adamsextract.com.
Prize #7: Deiss Kitchenware is giving one winner a kitchen utensil prize package! The winner will receive a digital thermometer, a grater, an apple slicer and corer set, and a 5 piece utensil set!
Deiss Kitchenware is a small, family driven company that believes it’s easy to cook with pleasure when you have the right tools. This company will bend over backwards to make you happy and the president of the company will even answer your letters! They create easy to use, innovative, and reliable products for use in your kitchen. To learn more about the company and the products they sell visit https://deisskitchenware.de/.
Thank you #SpringSweetsWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Millican Pecan, Door County Coffee & Tea Co., Anolon, Fresh April Sprinkles, Deiss Kitchenware, and Adams Extracts for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #SpringSweetsWeek giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Seven (7) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #SpringSweetsWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #SpringSweetsWeek posts or entry.