Light and fluffy, these Vegan Blueberry Lemon Muffins are the perfect breakfast or afternoon treat. The fresh lemon and berries make a winning combination!
Hello my lovely friends and happy Wednesday! I hope you are having a nice week so far 🙂 I have a great treat for you today that is sure to beat the mid-week blues... Vegan Lemon Blueberry Muffins! These babies are fluffy, soft, and packed with zesty lemon flavor. You get a juicy burst of blueberry in each bite - they are so delicious! I brought these to work and they got raving reviews all around. You have to give these a try!
What do I need to make lemon blueberry muffins at home?
- Fresh lemons: Seems obvious, but I am serious! While you can buy pre-squeezed lemon juice at the store, and dried zest, and other imitations... fresh is best. I use both freshly squeezed lemon juice and freshly grated lemon zest for the best, most intense citrusy flavor in my muffins.
- Lemon extract: I add this into my muffins for a little extra boost of flavor! It's not mandatory but I love using it in my lemon baked goods.
- Vanilla extract: I use this in ALL my baked goods for the most delicious, creamy, sweet flavor profile.
- Blueberries: This is another instance where fresh is best! I find that fresh blueberries perform best in baked goods - you can substitute with frozen, but be sure to use them as frozen, don't thaw them out before!
- Ground flaxseed: Flax is my favorite egg substitute for baking! Just whisk up ground flaxseed with some water to make the perfect egg-less replacement.
- Vegan butter: You gotta live a little! The vegan butter in this recipe adds some richness and makes the muffins extra decadent. You could also substitute with coconut oil if you prefer. I have not tested this recipe with oil!
- Nondairy milk: Any will do! I usually use almond or cashew milk since that is what I have in the house, but feel free to use your favorite milk substitute.
- Vegan sugar: I have said it before, and I'll say it again... not all sugar is vegan! Which is... a gross thought. A lot of cheap sugar in the US is processed using bone char which makes the end product not vegan friendly. Look for brands that are organic or that confirm they are vegan-friendly/bone char-free. My favorites are Zulka, Kirkland Organic (from Costco) and Florida Crystals.
- Flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
How do I make these vegan lemon blueberry muffins?
Lucky for you, these muffins are incredibly simple to make! You really just need one bowl (two if you're feeling fancy), and no special equipment.
- In a large bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients - flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. I also add my lemon zest at this point.
- In a separate bowl (if you want), combine your wet ingredients - flax egg, melted butter, lemon juice, nondairy milk, vanilla & lemon extract.
- Now - add the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry! Mix gently to combine - you do not want to overmix the batter and end up with flat muffins.
- Finally, toss your blueberries with a bit of flour (this prevents them from sinking to the bottom of the muffin pan) and very gently fold them into the muffin batter. You're all done!
- Scoop your muffins batter into a lined muffin tin, and bake until puffy and lightly golden brown. Enjoy! 🙂
Check out these other blueberry treats:
- Vegan Blueberry Mango Muffins
- Vegan Blueberry Coconut Pie
- Vegan Blueberry Orange Layer Cake
- Vegan Blueberry Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoon water
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- zest of 2 lemons (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon lemon extract
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup nondairy milk
- ½ cup melted vegan butter (can substitute coconut oil)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- First, preheat oven to 400F and prepare two muffin tins with liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the ground flaxseed and water to make your vegan "egg." Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest.
- To the bowl with the flaxseed mixture, add in your vanilla and lemon extracts, lemon juice, nondairy milk, and melted butter. Whisk it all together to combine.
- Now, gently pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredient bowl. Fold gently to combine - do NOT overmix!
- Finally, toss in your blueberries. Pro tip - toss them with a spoonful of flour before adding them to the batter to prevent them from sinking down. Gently fold the blueberries into the muffin batter.
- Fill your prepared muffin liners about ¾ of the way with your batter. You should be able to get about 16 muffins.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 17-20 minutes, until golden brown and puffy. Let cool slightly, and enjoy!
*Disclosure: I am part of the Amazon Associates Program, and there may be affiliate links on this page. If you buy anything through my website, I will receive a small percentage of the profit at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting my blog!*