I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the #PumpkinWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
This adorable Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Layer Cake is as cute as it is delicious! Fluffy pumpkin cake is studded with dark chocolate chips, covered in pumpkin spiced frosting, and crowned with luscious ganache drips and sprinkles.
Hi friends! Back again today with day 4 of #PumpkinWeek! Y’all know I love my mini layer cakes, and I just couldn’t let this week pass without making one for the occasion. This Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Layer Cake is made of fluffy spiced pumpkin cake that’s studded with chocolate chips, layered with pumpkin spice buttercream, and of course, crowned with a luscious dark chocolate drip. The finishing touch on top is the cute crystal sprinkles from Sweets & Treats! Altogether, it’s so delicious and oh-so-cute. I think this is my favorite recipe of the week!!
Are you guys fans of pumpkin with chocolate, or are you more purists with just pumpkin + cinnamon and spices? My family and I weren’t really big fans of pumpkin until I started making these infamous chubby pumpkin chocolate chip cookies… and now we love ALL THE PUMPKIN. I joke that the addition of chocolate was basically the gateway for us to start liking pumpkin desserts 😉 When my brother tried this cake, he said it was basically the cake version of those cookies we love so much, and I don’t disagree! It’s super fluffy and tastes like pumpkin and spices without being overwhelming. That’s another challenge I have to deal with, is my dad is totally anti-cinnamon. So I’ve perfected adding enough to where it tastes good, but not so much that he will hate it! The chocolate definitely plays its part here, too.
Enjoy these #PumpkinWeek recipes from our bloggers:
Pumpkin Breakfasts & Baked Goods:
Chocolate Pumpkin Swirl Quick Bread from The Crumby Kitchen
Chorizo Cheddar Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Fresh Pumpkin Quiche with Bacon and Sage from Palatable Pastime
Pumpkin Pancakes from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Roll from Seduction In The Kitchen
Pumpkin Spice Waffles from 4 Sons R Us
Butterscotch Pumpkin Pudding from Daily Dish Recipes
Easy Pumpkin Bundt Cake from The Bitter Side of Sweet
Pumpkin Brownies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Pumpkin Cheesecake with Marshmallow Creme from Red Cottage Cottage
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oat Bars from Sweet Beginnings
Pumpkin Creme Brûlée from Jen Around the World
Pumpkin Cupcakes from Caroline’s Cooking
Pumpkin Pie Dipped Oreos from The Mandatory Mooch
Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies from Kelly Lynns Sweets and Treats
Pumpkin White Chocolate Mocha Sauce from The Redhead Baker
Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Layer Cake from The Baking Fairy
I hope you guys will give this vegan pumpkin chocolate chip layer cake a try! It is seriously SO GOOD and one of my most favorite pumpkin recipes that I’ve made (and I’ve made A LOT)! If you’re not a layered cake maker, the batter can also be made in a loaf cake or a bundt. I will tell you that you will likely have to double it for a bundt though because those pans are huge! Happy baking 🙂
Don’t forget to check out the big G I V E A W A Y!!! Scroll past the recipe to enter and see all the details!
Here are my planned #PumpkinWeek recipes!
- Monday: Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte Cinnamon Rolls
- Tuesday: Vegan Savory Stuffed Pumpkins
- Thursday: Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Layer Cake
- Friday: The Best (and Easiest) Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte
- *for the cake*
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup packed Dixie Crystals dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup nondairy milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp pumpkin spice mix
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- *for the frosting*
- ½ cup shortening
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp pumpkin spice mix
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp nondairy milk, as needed
- *for the ganache*
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips or pieces
- 3-4 tbsp nondairy milk, as needed
- Sweets & Treats sprinkles, for decorating (the mix I used is called Apple Cider)
- First, prepare the cakes. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray two 6" cake pans with baking spray, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, oil, brown sugar, and milk until combined.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, pumpkin spice, and vanilla. Mix until the cake batter comes together.
- Finally, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly between the two cake pans, and bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly in the pans, then remove and transfer to a rack to finish cooling off. Cakes must be completely cooled before they can be frosted. I recommend wrapping them in plastic wrap and letting them rest in the fridge overnight for easier frosting and stacking!
- When ready to assemble, make the frosting. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, beat together the shortening and vegan butter until smooth and creamy. Add in the vanilla and pumpkin spice.
- Mix in the powdered sugar ½ cup at a time until a thick frosting forms. It is normal to have to add 2-3 tbsp of milk to get the frosting to the right consistency. You want it to be soft but still hold its shape.
- To assemble, first cut the cakes in half diagonally to create 4 cake layers. Place 1 layer down on a cake board or plate, and top with some frosting. Repeat with all.
- Be sure to set some frosting aside if you want to use it for decorating the top (or you can make another ½ batch if needed). Use the rest of the frosting to coat the outside of the cake.
- Finally, make the ganache. Combine the chocolate chips with 1-2 tbsp of the nondairy milk in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 20 second increments, stirring in-between, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Add more non-dairy milk as needed until ganache is smooth, shiny, and thin enough to easily run off a spoon.
- Decorate the top as desired with the ganache. I like using a squeeze bottle for easier decorating.
- Let the cake chill for 10-15 minutes so the ganache can set, then you can decorate the top with the reserved frosting. I used a 4B tip to make the fluffy dollops. Finish off the cake with desired sprinkles. Enjoy immediately, or refrigerate until ready to serve.
PRIZE #1 DIXIE CRYSTALS
Dixie Crystals is giving one winner a Marble Rolling Pin and Board Set.
Since 1917, Dixie Crystals® has been the South’s choice for high-quality sugar and sweeteners. For generations, Dixie Crystals has been at the heart of family traditions and celebrations. Our pure cane, non-GMO sugar products guarantee that treasured family recipes will turn out right every time. Bake with love and Dixie Crystals.
PRIZE#2 SWEETS & TREATS
We believe in flavor for all and opportunity for all. In the beginning, Rinaldo and Ezilda Torre visited family in Lucca, Italy. They returned home to San Francisco with handwritten recipes, which they used to create authentic flavored syrups. Needless to say, the syrups we’re a hit. A lot has happened since then, but our belief has remained the same: Flavor for All, Opportunity for All. It means that not only are the products we make inclusive and approachable, but so is our success. We believe everything starts with people, and the only way to truly succeed is to succeed together. Today, you can use more than 100 of our naturally flavored syrups, sauces and beverage bases in coffees, sodas, teas, smoothies, cocktails and more.
PRIZE#4 CABOT CREAMERY CO-OPERATIVE
Cabot is giving one winner a gift box of assorted Cabot cheeses.
The farm families that own Cabot Creamery Co-operative love what they do. And they’ve been doing it for a long time—every single day since 1919. Almost 100 years later, we’re proud of our thriving farms, strong communities, and happy, healthy cows that produce the rich, buttery milk that we use to make Cabot’s award-winning cheese and dairy products. We like to think those awards mean we’re doing something right. Of course, you’re a big part of this too. If you love eating our cheese as much as we love making it, then we’ll get to keep doing what we do for generations to come.
Thank you to #PumpkinWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Sweets & Treats, Torani, and Cabot Creamery Co-operative for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #PumpkinWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #PumpkinWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning.
Four (4) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Winners have 48 hours to respond once chosen, or they forfeit the prize and alternate winner(s) will be chosen. The #PumpkinWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #PumpkinWeek posts or entry.