This post and recipe was created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
Vegan Pumpkin Cupcakes get a cute Halloween makeover thanks to sprinkle-encrusted, double-decker dark chocolate frosting and a cute ghost decoration on top!
Hi friends and happy Thursday! Today is the last day of #HalloweenTreatsWeek (for me!) and I am wrapping up the festivities with these adorable Vegan Pumpkin Cupcakes with Dark Chocolate Sprinkle Frosting! Yes, I know the name is a bit of a mouthful but it's necessary. What else would you call these cute little treats?! They are fluffy pumpkin cupcakes topped with decadent dark chocolate frosting, and ALL THE SPRINKLES! I added the cute ghost toppers as a bonus, but these would be cute with any kind of Halloween candy on top.
If you're a very astute follower, you may remember I made these super fun mermaid cupcakes last year, which were so cute. These are basically the Halloween version of those!! To make these pumpkin cupcakes, you basically have to frost them twice. First, you pipe a layer of frosting on top of the cupcake and then DUNK it into a bowl of sprinkles to get the crusted effect. Then you do a pretty swirl of frosting on top, and finish off with whatever cute garnish you want. So you end up with a double-decker of frosting! I used these adorable Monster Mash sprinkles from Sweets & Treats. The ghost topper and the cupcake wrappers are from Wilton!
Check out the amazing #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
- Jack Skellington Dessert Cheese Ball from Big Bear's Wife
- Spooky Graveyard Layer Cake from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Bloody Vampire Cake from 4 Sons R Us
- Halloween Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls from Pastry Chef Online
- Fall Apple Cider Sangria from I am a Honey Bee
- Eye See You Bundt Cake from Cookaholic Wife
- Ghostly S'mores and Caramel Dip from Our Good Life
- Crystal Lake Punch from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Coffin Fondue Dippers from Jen Around the World
- Halloween Muddy Buddies from Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Poison Halloween Milkshakes from Daily Dish Recipes
- Monster Eye Cookies from Everyday Eileen
- Gooey Halloween Brownie Cups from Desserts Required
- Ghost Hi Hat Cupcakes from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Kid Friendly Wicked Witch Punch from Katie’s Cucina
- Sanderson Sisters Cocktails from Love & Confections
- Vegan Pumpkin Cupcakes with Dark Chocolate Sprinkle Frosting from The Baking Fairy
- Spider Cider Cocktail from Who Needs A Cape?
- Bat-tastic Caramel Apples from The Beard and The Baker
I hope you guys enjoyed all the fun and spooky recipes we made for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! I had a blast creating these treats for y'all! I hope you'll give these vegan pumpkin cupcakes (or another recipe I made this week) a try before Halloween gets here 🙂
Here's what I made for #HalloweenTreatsWeek!
- Monday: Vegan Halloween Cookies & Cream Fault Line Cake
- Tuesday: Bloody Good Cherry Chip Bundt Cake
- Thursday: Vegan Pumpkin Cupcakes with Dark Chocolate Sprinkle Frosting
P.S. if you're a visual learner, you can see step by step photos of how to make the double decker frosting on my mermaid cupcake post!
- *for the cupcakes*
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup packed Dixie Crystals dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup nondairy milk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice mix
- ½ tablespoon Adams Best vanilla extract
- *for the frosting*
- 1 cup vegan shortening
- ½ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup dark cocoa powder
- 3 cups Dixie Crystals powdered sugar
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 tablespoon nondairy milk, as needed
- black food coloring
- Sweets & Treats Monster Mash sprinkles
- Wilton ghost toppers
- First, make the cupcakes. Preheat the oven to 350F, and prepare about 16 cupcake lines in a pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, brown sugar, and milk.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin spice, and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Fill each cupcake liner about ⅔ of the way full. You should get 16-18 cupcakes.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- When ready, prepare the frosting.
- Place the vegan shortening and vegan butter in the bowl of a stand mixer, and beat together until smooth and creamy. Add in the cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt, and mix to combine.
- Mix in the powdered sugar, about 1 cup at a time, until a thick frosting forms. It is normal to need a bit of milk to get the consistency just right. Add in a few drops of black food coloring. Remember that the frosting WILL get darker as it sits, too.
- To create the double decker frosting effect, first pour your sprinkles into a small shallow bowl.
- Spread a layer of frosting onto your cupcakes, then dunk the top of the cupcake into the prepared bowl of sprinkles. You may have to roll it around a bit to get it all covered. Repeat with all cupcakes.
- For the second portion, place the remaining frosting in a piping bag fitted with a 1M tip, and pipe a swirl of frosting on top of each cupcake. Top with a Halloween candy or edible decoration if desired.