If you enjoy the marshmallow + sweet potato combination, this dessert is a must try! Vegan Marshmallow Sweet Potato Tart combines a cinnamon graham cracker crust with silky smooth sweet potato filling and toasted marshmallows on top.
Hi friends and happy Wednesday! We are in the homestretch for Thanksgiving and I wanted to squeeze in just oneeee more little recipe for you. This Vegan Marshmallow Sweet Potato Tart is delicious and so cute! It uses the classic marshmallow + sweet potato combination in a fun way, and really, where it should be all along… in a dessert. You have a cinnamon graham cracker crust, creamy homemade sweet potato filling, and a crown of toasted vegan marshmallows to finish it off. The whole thing together is phenomenal! Let’s go make it!
Let’s start with the basics…
What ingredients do I need to make a marshmallow sweet potato tart?
- Vegan marshmallows (I bought mine at Trader Joe’s but Dandies is another popular vegan brand)
- Sweet potatoes
- Brown sugar
- Nondairy milk
- Vanilla extract + cinnamon
- Graham crackers (make sure that there is no honey in the ingredient list!)
- Vegan butter
Do I need any special equipment?
Yes! My recipes are usually pretty laid back as far as specific requirements, but for this one you absolutely need a tart pan and a food processor (either full size or mini). The food processor is key for both the crust and for making a super smooth and silky sweet potato filling.
Are there any shortcuts I can take to make this marshmallow sweet potato tart?
I haven’t personally tried it, BUT you can definitely use a store-bought graham cracker crust instead of making it from scratch. You can also sometimes find canned sweet potato puree instead of making it yourself. Though I just bake my sweet potatoes in the microwave so it’s already super simple! 🙂 My only caveat is that the canned sweet potato puree might still be fibrous so it may still benefit from a trip through the food processor.
Well, that is all from me! This vegan marshmallow sweet potato tart is so tasty and such a cute fall dessert. I recommend making it a bit ahead of time so the filling has time to set and solidify. The toasted marshmallows also soften over time and become more easy to eat!
Looking for more fun sweet potato desserts?
- Sweet Potato Layer Cake with Marshmallow Frosting
- Sweet Potato Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Mini Sweet Potato Pies with Marshmallow Meringue
- Baked Sweet Potato Doughnuts
- *for the crust*
- 12 graham cookies
- 7 tbsp unsalted vegan butter, melted
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- *for the filling*
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (to yield ~2 cups puree)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1¼ cup nondairy milk
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup vegan marshmallows, for topping
- First, cook the sweet potatoes. Rinse them well, and prick them all over with a fork. Microwave for 5-6 minutes, until soft and easy to mash. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, make the crust. In a food processor, pulse the graham crackers until they are fine crumbs. Add in the brown sugar and cinnamon, and pulse a few times to combine. Add in the melted vegan butter, and mix until a soft moist crumb forms.
- Pour the mixture into your tart pan, and press firmly into the bottom and the sides to compact.
- Place the crust in the fridge for at least 15 minutes to set.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350F.
- When the crust is chilled, place on baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- To make the filling, scrape the sweet potatoes out of the skins and place in the food processor. Add in the brown sugar, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and cornstarch. Pulse until the filling is smooth and creamy.
- Pour the filling in the prepared crust, and bake until filling is firm and custardy, about 30-35 minutes.
- For the marshmallow topping, arrange mini marshmallows carefully over the filling, and place under broiler for 1-2 minutes until golden brown and toasted.
- Let sweet potato tart cool at room temp for 1-2 hours before cutting and serving for optimal texture. Enjoy!
*Disclosure: I am part of the Amazon Associates Program, and there may be affiliate links on this page. If you buy anything through my website, I will receive a small percentage of the profit at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting my blog!*