This Vegan Dark Chocolate Pear Layer Cake is the ultimate fall dessert! Fresh pear pieces are paired with bittersweet chocolate in a tender vanilla cake batter, and the whole thing is iced with vanilla bean frosting and topped with ganache.
Happy Sunday, my beautiful friends! I don’t usually post on the weekend, but I am making an exception today for National Pear Day! Pears are one of my favorite fall and winter fruits, and I knew I was overdue for making one of my sweet layer cakes featuring these lovelies. This Vegan Dark Chocolate Pear Layer Cake starts with a vanilla cake that is studded with fresh pear chunks and dark chocolate chips. It’s then layered with a vanilla bean frosting, and crowned with dark chocolate ganache, more frosting, more chocolate chips and pears on top!
Chocolate and pears are such a wonderful combination – if you’ve never had it then you’re definitely missing out. One of my family’s favorite cakes is this chocolate & pear cake – my dad and brothers LOVE it, and my mom makes it on repeat all fall with the pears from her fruit trees in her backyard! This vegan dark chocolate pear cake here is super similar, but made into a cute layer cake. The original is perfect for a quick weeknight dessert, and this one is more party-ready 🙂 Both are equally delicious!
Since it’s National Pear Day, it’s only right that I share some of my favorite pear recipes! This Vegan Ginger Pear Bundt cake was a fast favorite around here, and we all unexpectedly loved the punch of ginger. This Cranberry Pear Lattice Pie is a perfect Thanksgiving dessert. Vegan Dark Chocolate Pear Turnovers use puff pastry to make a quick but impressive (and delicious!) treat. And this Red Wine Poached Pear Chocolate Cake is my favorite just cause of the gorgeous pink color!
National Pear Day
- Asian Pear and Smoked Sausage Flatbread Pizza by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Brown Butter and Pear Blondies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Gingered Cranberry Pear Sauce by That Recipe
- Poached Pear Salad with Goat Cheese by Art of Natural LIving
- Rustic Pear and Almond Tart by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Vegan Dark Chocolate Pear Layer Cake by The Baking Fairy
I hope you guys will give this dark chocolate pear layer cake a try! It is so delicious, and the sweet pear and bitter chocolate are such a perfect pear (pair) 😉
- *for the cake*
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp water
- ⅔ cup of nondairy milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup vegan butter, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup nondairy yogurt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh pear chunks
- 1 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- *for the frosting*
- ½ cup shortening
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 1-2 tbsp of nondairy milk, as needed
- pinch of salt
- *to decorate*
- dark chocolate chips and nondairy milk, for the ganache
- fresh pears
- First, make the cake. Preheat oven to 350F and spray two 6" round cake pans with nonstick baking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ground flaxseed with the water and set aside to thicken.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- Add in the vegan butter, and beat on low until it's incorporated and has a sandy texture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, flaxseed mixture, nondairy yogurt, and vanilla extract, and add them to the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Pour in the nondairy milk, and beat on medium-low until smooth and creamy. Finally, gently fold in the pear pieces and chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly among the 2 pans, and bake for 40-45 minutes until cake is set in the center and a toothpick comes out clean.
- When the cakes are completely cooled, you can make the frosting. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the shortening, vegan butter, and vanilla extract together until completely smooth and creamy. Add in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until a thick frosting forms. Add in the salt. It is normal to need to add 1-2 tbsp of milk to get the right consistency.
- To assemble the cake, divide the 2 cake layers in half to create 4 thin layers.
- Place one cake piece on your cake stand or platter, and spread some frosting on top. Repeat with all.
- Next, cover the cake with the remaining frosting. I always like the "naked" look, so I cover the cake and use a bench scraper to get rid of any excess. Repeat to fill any gaps!
- Let the cake chill for 30 min-1 hr before covering with the ganache.
- To make the ganache, place about ½ cup of dark chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Add in a splash of nondairy milk, and microwave in 20 second intervals until smooth and creamy. Add more milk and keep stirring if the mixture is too thick.
- Transfer your dark chocolate ganache to a squeeze bottle, and decorate the cake. Place the cake back in the fridge before decorating the top with frosting as you want the ganache to solidify.
- Finally, use any extra frosting to decorate the top (or make another half batch). I used a 4B tip and piped in a V shape to create a braided effect. I then finished off with a cut pear and chocolate chips in the middle!