If you have some ripe bananas in the house and want to try something that isn't banana bread, give these Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies a try! Super easy, naturally egg-free, and so tasty!
Hi friends and happy Thursday! I come bearing COOKIES. These may look like your regular ol' chocolate chip cookies, but they're hiding a delicious surprise - they also involve peanut butter, bananas, and oats! These Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies are a delicious twist on the classic. I had posted a similar recipe on the blog in 2012 and I decided a remake was very overdue. I was able to veganize and simplify these babies so that everyone can enjoy them!
What do I need to make these peanut butter banana chocolate chip cookies?
- Creamy peanut butter: of course, peanut butter is a must in these! I like smooth PB, but you could certainly use crunchy if you prefer. Feel free to experiment with different nut butters, too!
- Bananas: you need two super ripe bananas for these banana chocolate chip cookies - the darker and squishier, the better! The bananas serve two purposes in here - they flavor the cookies, but they also act as egg replacers to bind the cookie dough together.
- Vegan butter: my favorite is Country Crock plant butter, but you can use any vegan butter that you like here. Shortening also works! I would be cautious with coconut oil as it can make the cookies too soft and runny due to the low melting point. You may need to add some extra flour if you use coconut oil!
- Chocolate chips: for this recipe, I used Enjoy Life's mini chocolate chips! Regular sized chocolate chips will also work just as well.
- Quick-cooking oats: I have to confess that quick oats are not my favorite for eating as oatmeal, but they are perfect for baking! The fine texture makes them perfect for cookies and other baked goods.
- Sugar & brown sugar: we had this discussion the other day on Instagram, but be sure that your sugar is vegan! When in doubt, buy organic.
- Vanilla extract: this is a must-have in all baked goods, and these chocolate chip cookies are no exception!
- All-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt
How do I make these PB banana chocolate chip cookies at home?
These cookies are super simple, and you don't even need a stand mixer or any special equipment so they come together really quickly.
- First, combine your peanut butter and vegan butter in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat until melted, smooth, and creamy.
- Transfer your butter + PB mixture to a large bowl, mash in your bananas, and add in your sugars and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Add in the flour, oats, baking soda and salt, and mix until the cookie dough comes together. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Very important - you must now chill your dough for at least 30 min! It can be runny, so we want to make sure the butter and peanut butter chill and firm back up so that the cookies can hold their shape.
- And now - time to bake! Scoop your cookies out, and bake at 350F for about 15 minutes. Enjoy! 🙂
I hope you guys will give these peanut butter banana chocolate chip cookies a try! They are absolutely delicious and perfectly chewy and gooey. The quick oats add the perfect bit of extra texture, too! Make these next time you have some overripe bananas and want to try something new 🙂
Looking for more chocolate + banana recipes?
- Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Snack Cake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Crescents
- Vegan Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Banana, Hazelnut, and Dark Chocolate Popcorn Snack Mix
- 1 stick (½ cup) vegan butter
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 very ripe medium bananas
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the vegan butter and peanut butter. Heat in 30 second increments until melted, smooth, and creamy.
- In a large bowl, add in your ripe bananas and mash until smooth. Add in the sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract, and mix to combine. Pour in the melted butter + PB mixture.
- To this, add your flour, oats, baking soda, and salt. Mix until the cookie dough comes together. Finally, fold in your chocolate chips.
- Allow cookie dough to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350F.
- Line your baking sheets with silicone liners or parchment paper. Scoop out spoonfuls of the cookie dough, about 1.5 tablespoon in size.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, until golden brown and puffy. Cookies will flatten as they cool. Enjoy!
*Disclosure: I am part of the Amazon Associates Program, and there may be affiliate links on this page. If you buy anything through my website, I will receive a small percentage of the profit at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting my blog!*