Looking for a sweet and simple Christmas treat? These Candy Cane Rice Krispie Treats take just minutes to make, taste delicious, and have the perfect blend of creamy vanilla with a kiss of peppermint.
Hi friends and happy Monday! Christmas is just 4 days away which is crazy. It is going to be here before we know it! I decided to squeeze in one more little Christmas sweet before it’s too late – Candy Cane Rice Krispie Treats! These bars are so easy to make, and delicious. There’s peppermint extract and crushed mints inside, as well as melted white chocolate and extra crushed candy canes on top! If you’re a fan of mint, you are sure to like these tasty bites.
I sadly will be working the next days up to Christmas, so I won’t have time to make any more treats for you! It is such a bummer because I had sooo many ideas. But, what’s new. Too many ideas and too little time, as usual 🙂 These candy cane rice krispies worked out because they were so simple to make! They are a fun addition to your Christmas cookie trays and boxes, and come together super quick since there is no baking required. The ingredient list is also quite basic and not much different than the traditional crispy bars. Simple and delicious – just what we need this time of year!
What do I need for these candy cane rice krispie treats?
- Puffed rice cereal – The chief ingredient in these rice krispie treats! Any brand will do. You could even use cocoa krispies for a chocolatey twist!
- Vegan marshmallow – The other very necessary ingredient in these bars. I used Dandies brand, and they make a seasonal peppermint variety which worked perfectly! You can definitely use plain vegan marshmallows and add a touch more mint extract for the flavoring.
- Peppermint extract – A little goes a long way! A few drops of peppermint added to the marshmallow and butter mixture adds the perfect minty touch.
- Candy canes – These are candy cane rice krispie treats after all! You can smash some candy canes or peppermint candies for this. I try to crush them quite small as they are easier to eat that way!
- White chocolate – This is optional, but the little vegan white chocolate drizzle on top with extra crushed peppermints is a cute touch!
- Vegan butter – the other essential part to the marshmallow mixture – butter keeps everything together! I recommend a good quality vegan butter like Miyoko’s or Flora to avoid an oily taste.
Looking for more fun holiday sweets?
- Lumps of Coal Truffles
- Hot Cocoa Rice Krispie Treats
- Vegan Peppermint Bark Madeleines
- Vegan Pull-Apart Cranberry Eggnog Rolls
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- 3 cups vegan marshmallows + 1 cup for later (optional - use peppermint marshmallows)
- ¼ tsp peppermint extract
- 7 cups crispy rice cereal
- ¼ cup crushed candy cane pieces
- ¼ cup vegan white chocolate chips
- First, prepare a 9 x 13 pan and spray with nonstick spray or coat with vegan butter. Set aside.
- Place the vegan butter in a large pot, and melt over medium-low heat. Once it is melted, add in 3 cups of marshmallows. Melt down, stirring often. This will take 5-7 minutes.
- When the marshmallows are all melted, stir in the peppermint extract and add in the crispy rice cereal. Fold everything together until well combined. Finally, stir in the reserved cup of mini marshmallows and the crushed candy canes, and mix to combine.
- Press rice krispie mixture into the prepared pan and allow to cool slightly so it can set.
- While the rice krispies set, melt down the ¼ cup of vegan white chocolate. Place in a zip-top baggie, and snip the corner. Drizzle the chocolate on top of the prepared bars. Sprinkle additional crushed candy canes on top, if desired.
- When the rice krispies have cooled and hardened, cut into bars and enjoy!
*Disclosure: I am part of the Amazon Associates Program, and there may be affiliate links on this page. If you buy anything through my website, I will receive a small percentage of the profit at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting my blog!*