This Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Pear Pie is like the best combination of chocolate pie and fruit pie! Sweet pears are combined with dark chocolate and toasted hazelnuts for a winning flavor profile.
Happy Saturday, friends! I hope everyone had a great Christmas 🙂 We are back with a few more treats before 2020 is over! This Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Pear Pie is a dessert I made for an Instagram takeover a few weeks ago, but it turned out so well that it just had to be shared to the blog as well. It's like the best combination of chocolate and fruit pie! You have sweet, juicy pears, mixed with toasty hazelnuts and decadent dark chocolate. It's a simple blend, but a little different than the usual and seriously so delicious!
The chocolate + pear combination isn't crazy popular, but it's one of my favorites! The sweet floral pears pair with dark, bittersweet chocolate so well. Add in hazelnuts for a Nutella-esque twist, and I'm a happy camper! For this recipe, I used store-bought pie crust to make it easier, but you are welcome to sub in your favorite homemade crust recipe. This one from my basil peach pie is easy to make!
What do I need for this chocolate hazelnut pear pie?
- Vegan chocolate! I used chocolate chips in this case, but you can definitely chop up your favorite chocolate bar and use that instead. I recommend a semisweet or dark chocolate since the pears are already sweet.
- Hazelnuts - I grabbed a bag of toasted, chopped hazelnuts at the store and they worked perfectly! If your hazelnuts are raw, be sure to toast them before adding to the filling for a better flavor.
- Pears - Of course! I used Bartlett pears, but any variety will do. Bosc pears are also great for baking.
- Pie crust - I used store-bought, but you can definitely make yours from scratch. Most refrigerated & frozen pie crusts are made with shortening and therefore "accidentally" vegan. Be sure to check the labels! My favorite brand is Wewalka.
- Brown sugar - I prefer brown sugar in this case for the extra flavor you get from the molasses! Coconut sugar would also be a great option.
- Vanilla extract - Yes, I do recommend adding vanilla for your pie filling! It just adds another layer of flavor and deliciousness.
- Ground cinnamon - A bit of cinnamon works perfectly in here! It complements the pears and hazelnuts really well.
- All purpose flour - You need a bit of flour added to the filling to help thicken everything up (and prevent a soggy bottom). Nobody likes that! 😉
Check out some other chocolate + pear treats!
- Vegan Chocolate Pear Layer Cake
- Vegan Chocolate Pear Turnovers
- Brown Butter Chocolate Pear Cake
- Chocolate Pear Tarts
- Red Wine Poached Pear Chocolate Cake
- 5 pears, peeled and diced small
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped hazelnut pieces
- 1 cup vegan friendly dark chocolate chips
- 2 storebought pie crusts
- nondairy milk & turbinado sugar for topping
- First, peel and dice all the pears and place them in a large bowl
- Add in the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and vanilla, and stir to combine.
- Finally, add in the hazelnuts and chocolate chips.
- Roll out your storebought pie crust. Use one crust to line the bottom of a 9” pie dish. Crimp the edges as desired.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust, and top with the second crust! Brush the crust with some nondairy milk (I used oat milk) and sprinkle on turbinado sugar for a crunchy, sparkly finish.
- Place pie in the refrigerator to chill for 15-20 minutes - this ensures that the pie crust keeps its shape during baking!
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400F. Bake pie for 40-50 minutes, until filling is bubbling and crust is golden brown and flaky. Enjoy!
*Disclosure: I am part of the Amazon Associates Program, and there may be affiliate links on this page. If you buy anything through my website, I will receive a small percentage of the profit at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting my blog!*