This post and recipe was created for Rodelle! I was sent samples to aid in recipe creation, but as always opinions are 100% mine.
This Vegan Vanilla Bean Shortbread is sure to become your new Christmastime favorite! It is so simple to make, and has an irresistible buttery, creamy vanilla flavor.
Hello friends and happy Friday! I am so excited to be sharing a new recipe with you guys today that is just perfect for Christmas - Vegan Vanilla Bean Shortbread! Shortbread is one of my absolute favorite types of cookies, and I am happy to report that it is surprisingly simple to make, even as a vegan recipe. You may remember I am a brand ambassador for Rodelle - this recipe was made in partnership with them as part of their holiday cookie celebration. This means new cookie recipes for you guys all month long! But let's not get carried away... let me show you how to make this vanilla bean shortbread!
What do I need to make this vegan vanilla bean shortbread?
- Vanilla bean paste: This is truly the star ingredient! You might think all vanilla is made equal, but that is definitely not the case. Rodelle vanilla paste is absolutely packed to the brim with pure vanilla beans and has a rich, creamy vanilla flavor. It adds such a special touch to recipes! Here, I used it in both the shortbread and the glaze.
- Vanilla extract: Again, Rodelle is really the star here! I used the Rodelle Fairtrade Organic Madagascar Vanilla Extract which has an absolutely unbeatable creamy taste. It adds a wonderful depth of flavor to the shortbread!
- Vegan butter: If you're a somewhat experienced baker, you'll know that butter is a KEY ingredient in shortbread! Traditional shortbread is very buttery, and this vegan version is no exception. I highly recommend buying a high quality, "European style" plant-based butter for the best flavor in your cookies. If possible, I would opt for unsalted vegan butter as it is more stable and holds up better with the heat. I used Flora unsalted vegan butter and it worked perfectly in this recipe. If you are going to use salted butter, be sure to cut back on the salt you add into the recipe to avoid a salty cookie!
- White granulated sugar: I feel like I remind you guys of this in every recipe, but - not all sugar is vegan friendly! Opt for a certified vegan-friendly brand or when in doubt, use organic sugar to ensure that no bone char was used in processing.
- All-purpose flour and salt. And that's it!
How do I make this vanilla bean shortbread?
The only think simpler than the ingredient list is the instructions!
- First, preheat your oven to 350F. Grab a 10" round baking pan and line the bottom with parchment. Grease the sides using baking spray or some vegan butter. Set this aside for now.
- In your stand mixer, beat together softened vegan butter and your granulated sugar until very light and fluffy. Add in your vanilla paste, vanilla extract, and your salt and mix to combine.
- Finally, stir in the flour and mix until well incorporated. That's it!
- Transfer your shortbread cookie dough to your prepared pan, and flatten it down using your hands. Using a skewer, poke small holes all over the surface of the cookie. I went ahead and also cut my cookie into wedges before baking - it does come back together as it bakes, but the lines remain to guide you so you can cut it again after cooking!
- Bake in your preheated oven for 30 minutes until golden brown and fragrant. It will smell absolutely heavenly!
- Enjoy your vanilla bean shortbread as-is, or whip up a quick icing using powdered sugar, vanilla paste, and nondairy milk to pour on top. It is delicious either way!
I hope you guys will give this vegan vanilla bean shortbread a try! It is absolutely scrumptious and so easy to make. That crumbly, buttery texture is just irresistible 🙂 Be sure to follow Rodelle on social media to see all of the other bakers' creations, too! Happy baking!
Check out some more vegan-friendly Christmas cookies!
- Vegan Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars
- Vegan Peppermint Bark Madeleines
- Vegan Cherry Pistachio Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Molasses Crinkles Cookies
- Vegan Confetti Sugar Cookies (make these with Christmas sprinkles!)
- *for the shortbread*
- 1 cup (2 sticks/1 block) vegan butter, preferably unsalted, softened
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- ½ tablespoon Rodelle vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Rodelle Vanilla Paste
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt (reduce to ¼ teaspoon if using salted butter)
- *for the icing*
- 2 tablespoon nondairy milk
- 1 teaspoon Rodelle vanilla paste
- 2 cups powdered sugar (more or less as needed)
- First, let's make the shortbread. Preheat oven to 350F. Line the bottom of a 10" round pan with a piece of parchment paper and grease the sides using vegan butter or baking spray. Set aside for now.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat your softened butter for about 30 seconds until smooth and lump-free. Add in your sugar, and cream the mixture on medium-high until it is very light in color and fluffy.
- Next, add in your vanilla extract and vanilla paste, and mix to combine.
- Finally, add your salt and flour, and beat mixture until a thick cookie dough forms.
- Transfer your dough to your prepared baking pan, and use your hands to press it down evenly. Use a toothpick or skewer to poke holes all over the surface of the shortbread. If desired, you can also cut the cookie into wedges at this point. It will meld back together while baking, but the lines do remain and it makes it easier to cut later.
- Bake your shortbread in your preheated oven for 30 minutes, until lightly golden brown and fragrant. Do note that the cookie will not brown very much as compared to traditional cookies.
- Let the shortbread cool slightly, then transfer to a cooling rack or plate to finish cooling off.
- To make the icing, add your milk and vanilla paste to a small bowl and add the powdered sugar, a spoonful at a time, until a thick glaze forms. Think Elmer's glue consistency. When the shortbread has cooled to room temperature, drizzle the icing on top. Cut your shortbread into wedges and enjoy!
*Disclosure: I am part of the Amazon Associates Program, and there may be affiliate links on this page. If you buy anything through my website, I will receive a small percentage of the profit at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting my blog!*