Change up your cookie game with these delicious Vegan Chocolate Tahini Swirl Cookies! These cookies are chewy in the middle, crispy at the edges, with a decadent chocolate ribbon throughout.
Happy Friday, friends! Can you believe this is my FIRST dessert recipe in 2020?! Who even am I? Better to post on the last day of the month than never, I guess. All I can say is that it's been a busy month. I promise these delicious Vegan Chocolate Tahini Swirl Cookies were worth the wait! They start with my go-to chewy chocolate chip cookie dough base, except instead of adding chocolate chips, I swirled in a huge spoonful of chocolate tahini spread. These are seriously perfect.
So, what is tahini anyway? It's sesame seed butter! Most people know it as a savory ingredient in hummus, but you can definitely also use it in sweet dishes. I made these chocolate thumbprint tahini cookies yeaaarrss ago which were fantastic! When I found this jar of chocolate tahini at the store, I knew I had to take it home and make something delicious with it. It reminds me almost of Nutella, but less sweet! It plays perfectly with the sugary cookie dough in these chocolate tahini swirl cookies.
What you need to make chocolate tahini swirl cookies:
- Chocolate tahini spread: the key ingredient here! I found mine at Kroger, but you can easily buy it on Amazon as well. If you can't find any, a great substitute would be chocolate peanut butter or chocolate hazelnut spread! Technically it doesn't have to be chocolate but I mean... chocolate is the best.
- Vegan butter AND vegan shortening: you absolutely need both for this recipe to work! I have found that vegan butter alone makes a cookie dough that is too soft, and shortening is too stiff. Using both strikes the perfect balance of soft, chewy cookies with crispy edges. You can substitute the butter with coconut oil if you wish. If you use all shortening, you can add some nondairy milk to the cookie dough to make it less stiff.
- Brown sugar AND white granulated sugar: again, this is about getting the right balance of flavors and texture! I like using more brown sugar than white to have a chewier, more moist cookie. I like Imperial Sugar (also known as Dixie Crystals in some states) as they are vegan-friendly and readily available in most grocery stores. Zulka is also a good brand for white granulated sugar. Did you know you can make your own brown sugar at home by adding molasses to white sugar?!
I hope you guys will give these vegan chocolate tahini swirl cookies a try! They are so easy to make and super tasty. I even made a video on how to make them! Check it out and let me know what you think! 🙂
More recipes using tahini:
- Chocolate Tahini Thumbprint Cookies
- Guacamole Hummus
- Kalamata Olive Hummus
- Roasted Veggie Bowls (with lemon tahini sauce)
vegan chocolate tahini swirl cookies
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup vegan shortening
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon aquafaba chickpea brine
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate tahini spread
- In a medium bowl, beat together the vegan butter, vegan shortening, white sugar, and brown sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the aquafaba and vanilla, and beat until combined.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until the cookie dough comes together. Finally, mix in the chocolate tahini spread.
- Scoop out the cookie dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment or silicone. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350F. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown and delicious!
*Disclosure: I am part of the Amazon Associates Program, and there may be affiliate links on this page. If you buy anything through my website, I will receive a small percentage of the profit at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting my blog!*