This Vegan Strawberry Pistachio Crisp takes just a few minutes to assemble and only calls for simple ingredients. It's the best way to enjoy the fresh, juicy strawberries of summer! Serve with some vanilla ice cream for a perfect treat.
Helloooo friends, and happy Monday! Today kicks off a fun themed week - #BerryWeek! Some blogger friends and I have joined forces and will be sharing delicious berry-themed recipes all week long. I have some super tasty and easy treats in store for you, starting with this Vegan Strawberry Pistachio Crisp! This crisp is insanely simple to make, and combines fresh juicy strawberries with a crumbly, crispy oat and pistachio topping for the ultimate effortless dessert. Top it with some vegan whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, and you are all set!
What's the difference between a cobbler, crumble, and a crisp?!
Okay, I'm not gonna lie, I had to resort to Google when naming this recipe because I wasn't sure which would be most appropriate! Here is what I learned. A cobbler is a fruit dessert generally topped with biscuit-like dough or pie crust. A crumble is traditionally topped with a streusel-like mixture of butter, sugar, and flour. And a crisp usually starts similarly to a crumble but also involves a crunchy toppings like oats and nuts. So according to this etymology... what we have here today is indeed a strawberry pistachio crisp. Thanks for coming to my TedTalk 😂
What do I need to make this strawberry pistachio crisp?
I'm not kidding when I say this is one of the simplest desserts you'll ever make!
- Fresh strawberries - they are super juicy and flavorful this time of year, and they make this crisp so delicious!
- Brown sugar - be sure to check that the brand you are using does not use bone char to whiten their sugar, as this makes it non-vegan. And why would you want to eat that anyway?! According to PETA, Imperial Sugar is vegan-friendly though I can't find any confirmation on their website. Bob's Red Mill, Sugar In The Raw, and Wholesome! are also vegan-friendly brands. When in doubt, buy organic or coconut sugar - these are never processed with bone char.
- If you can't find vegan-friendly brown sugar, you can always buy white sugar and add some molasses to it yourself.
- Oats - I love using old-fashioned oats in desserts like this, as they provide some great texture!
- Roasted salted pistachios - it wouldn't be a strawberry pistachio crisp without the pistachios, of course! These just add some extra flavor and crunch in the topping! I like using the salted kind since this dessert can be very sweet between the strawberry mixture and brown sugar topping.
- Vegan butter (or coconut oil) - you need some sort of fat to keep the crisp topping together! I didn't want any coconut flavor this time, so I opted for some vegan butter. But either option will work well! You can always go with refined coconut oil which does not have coconut flavor.
- Lemon - I don't know why but any time I make a berry dessert, citrus is a MUST! That bright zingy flavor helps bring it all together. You will need the juice of 1 lemon for the strawberry filling.
Monday Berry Week Recipes
- Berries and Cream Angel Food Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Blackberry Dumplings by Eat Move Make
- Blackberry Lemon Sweet Rolls by Sweet Beginnings
- Blueberry, Basil and Goat Cheese Galette by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Easy Strawberry Mousse Dessert by Blogghetti
- Four Berry Jam by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Frozen Strawberry Daiquiris by The Redhead Baker
- Mixed Berry Bread by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Raspberry Ribbon Cookies by Family Around the Table
- Strawberries and Cream Scones by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Vegan Strawberry Pistachio Crisp by The Baking Fairy
- Very Berry Salsa by The Freshman Cook
Well, that's all I have for y'all today! I hope you will give this vegan strawberry pistachio crisp a try - it is so delicious and dangerously easy to make. It's sure to be a crowd pleaser! Don't forget to come back on Wednesday for another #BerryWeek recipe 🙂
Want more crisp & crumble recipes?
- Brown Butter Triple Berry Crisp
- Vegan Mango Raspberry Crumble
- Vegan Strawberry Peach Cobbler
- Easy Vegan Pecan Pie Cobbler
- *for the crumble*
- ¼ cup vegan butter, melted
- ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- ¼ cup roasted salted pistachios, roughly chopped
- pinch of salt
- *for the filling*
- 4 cups fresh quartered strawberries
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 375F and prepare a 9" deep pie dish or 8x8 baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, make the crumble topping. Combine the melted butter with the brown sugar, flour, oatmeal, chopped pistachios, and pinch of salt. Mix until a crumbly mixture comes together.
- In the baking dish, combine the quartered strawberries with the lemon juice, brown sugar, and flour. Mix to combine.
- Top with the crumble mixture, and bake in preheated oven for 45-55 minutes. The filling should be bubbling, and crumble topping will be golden brown.
- Let cool slightly and enjoy! I recommend whipped cream or vanilla ice cream 🙂
*Disclosure: I am part of the Amazon Associates Program, and there may be affiliate links on this page. If you buy anything through my website, I will receive a small percentage of the profit at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting my blog!*